Famous for the mouth-watering laksa, tourists can never resist to leave this place without having a bowlful of its laksa.Yummy!Its hard to trace its origin.Nyonya laksa is believed to have originated from the Malaccan, straits-born Chinese basically known the Peranakan. Peranakan cuisine tends to contain many of the traditional ingredients of Chinese food and Malay spices and herbs. Nonya laksa is based on lemak or coconut milk. It is very creamy and has a strong base of lemongrass. Traditional nonya laksa is accompanied by an egg, prawns and bean sprouts with some laksa leaves. Tasty right? You are guarenteed never to regret if you try this delicious delicacy.
Posted by koon seng/joo chiat at 10:36 PM
Kuan Im Tng
Kuan Im Tng was purchased on 31 May 1919 by Mr.Tan Pang Seng, Mr.Tan Jit Whee and Mr. Loh Cheng Ying for the purpose of building a "joss house"- a colonial for the chinese temple. The first abbot of the temple was Venerable Li Nanshan, who came to simgapore from Canton, China in the 1900's. He worked hard to build and establish the Kuan Im Tng temple. The temple is dedicated to Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, known as Kuan Shi Yin P'usa or Kuan Yin Niang Niang, or the Goddess of Mercy. Kuan Yins image appears in many forms, but the most commom form is the white-robbed one. Temples dedicated to Kuan Yin believe in the harmony of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism.
The chinese temple was built in 1921 and has been renovated twice. It plays a big role in the community life of katong/Joo Chiat. Its ornate facade and front door are flanked by circular windows,surrounded by white, yellow and blue mosiac symbols of the Eight Immortals. The green roof tiles are chinese-made and its roof ridges aresdorned with statues of dancing dragons with celestial pearl, symbolising prosperity and good fortune. The main prayer hall of the temple is dedicated to Guan Yin(Goddess of mercy), Confucius and the Sun and the Moon gods. <Rediscover the east, a brochure>
On 14 February 1933, three owners fromally conveyed the land and the temple to a group of trustees so as to ensure that the land and the temple would always remain a place of worship. In 1988, the temple underwent major renovation. priests and abbot, Cheu Yok Beng, has contributed alot to the temple and the community for more than 40 years. Today, the temple is a place of worship for all and is comitted to help the less fortunate.
Posted by koon seng/joo chiat at 9:37 PM
History of Joo Chiat Road...
At that time, Joo Chiat Road was a cart track and Onan Road was a sandy lane. The roads were taken over by the Rural Board, then by the Municipality. They were improved and four were named after Joo Chiat. Joo Chiat Avenue is the most recent. More roads were later laid out - Marshall Road after Captain H.T. Marshall, the Municipal Commission first chairman in 1856; Pennefather Road after John Pine Pennefather, a Government Surveyor, 1885-1945, Carpmael Road after H. Carpmael, Municipal Assessor; Crane Road after the original T. C. Crane who planted coconut trees in the area; Everitt Road after Sir Clementi Everitt of the legal firm of Sisson & Delay; Still Road after A.W. Still, Straits Times editor for 23 years; Koon Seng Road after Cheong Koon Seng of the firm of auctioneers and estate agents bearing his name.
Joo Chiat road was named after a man named Chew Joo Chiat. He bought the area from the wealthy Arab Alsagoff family. He laid out roads and consturcted rows of lovely terrace houses which still stand today.Joo chiat boasts some of the finest examples of the singapore eclectic style of architecture.
This happy marriage of chinese and western housing design is also called the Singapore Baroque. Doric columns, western-stly roofs, and brillantly coloured wall tiles from Italy with flowers in relief, were wedded to chinese fecade panels depicting dragons and chinese mythological animals which have no western equivalent. All these elegant touches and more are captured in The Little Island "Joo Chiat" series of Decorative Walls Plaques.
Posted by koon seng/joo chiat at 9:06 PM
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Koon Seng Road
History of Koon Seng Rd
Formerly known as Lorong East Coast Road, this road was renamed in 1934 after Cheong Koon Seng, auctioneer and an estate agent. Elder son of Cheong Ah Bee, wealthy first generation straits-born merchants from melaka.
The two rows of pre-war terrace houses along Koon Seng Road display some of the finest examples of Peranakan architecture in Singapore and exceptionally ornate.Most oustanding features the late style (1900 -1940) shophouse in the narrow yet decorative embellished font facade which belies the depth and spaciousness of the residence. In Malacca,birthplace of Peranakan culture, the Dutch calculated housing tax based on the building's width.This resulted in long narrow houses with courtyard and air wells for better ventilation and lightings. This architectural style was exported to Singapore.
The external walls are decoarted with Chinese couplets of good fortune, health and happiness adorning the openings which are similiar to the traditional residences in China. Fine ceramic tiles featuring flora or geometrical designs were imported from France, England and Belgium and applied on the external walls. Western architectural influnces can also be seen in the designs of the windows and the pillars.The various motifs applied on the facades are device from mytical figures. flowers and birds often act as accompainments to the splendid relief decoration.Featuring Chinese motifs of deer, dragons and dogs which are symbols of good fortune and long live. This decorations reflected the wealth and status of the owners or tentants.